If your bathroom or kitchens drains seem to be draining slower than usually than you most likely have a drain clog. Drain clogs can be one of the more annoying problems in your home so we have some simple tips to prevent them.
- Every month use safe enzyme treatments rather than harmful drain cleaners such as this one from amazon. Regular application of this can keep grime, hair, food and other debris from creating clogs.
- Dispose of grease and other harmful items in the trash and keep them away from your drain. Grease is a major cause of clogs. Instead of pouring it down your drain, pour it into a container and dispose of the container in the trash or wait until it hardens to scrape into the trash.
- Run hot water through your drains regularly. It is best to do this after each use. For irregularly used drains run or pour hot water every week to clear away build-up. Also, this keeps the p-trap in the drain full, prevents odors from coming from the drain.
- Use a drain screen or mesh strain such as this one. This will catch hair or debris before it gets to your drain. Be sure to clean regularly for optimum performance and eliminate odors
- Use baking soda and white vinegar. These two ingredients can help disinfect your kitchen or bath but also clear out some clogs. Pour a 1/2 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of vinegar down the drain. Wait for around 10 mins and follow it up by a bucket of very hot water.
Even after following all these tips you are still experiencing frequent drain clogs then its time to call the experts, Smith Drain Solutions. We can determine the cause and provide info on how to prevent and end the problem, just give us a call at 410-938-7642 or book an appointment here.